Am I a partison moderate?Is that even possible? After my previous post, I got to thinking if my comments weren't the very thing Giuliani was bemoaning. Is it possible that, even as a moderate, I've become so disgusted with the two political parties that I've now become part of the problem? Do I spend too much time criticizing the current state of affairs to actually do any good? If so, does that disqualify me as a moderate? (If not, does the fact that I'm a registered Libertarian disqualify me?)

My gut reaction is yes, and no. I don't thing you can criticize too much when things are as dismal as they are. There's no justification for whitewashing the truth or looking the other way in the name of politcal harmony. When our leaders have strayed so far from the path set out by the founding fathers and the constitution, they probably should be ceaselessly ridiculed into submission. However, maybe one of the reasons so few people give a shit is that they see no alternative. In which case, maybe in addition to tearing down, those of us who still care should take the time to point out the rare statesmen (even if we don't always agree with them).

I've always thought of myself as a moderate because I believe I have an open mind and can listen to both sides of an informed argument without my head exploding like some Fox News nimrod. Furthermore, I find myself agreeing with both parties, depending on the issue at hand. I think both parties have something to offer. I think there are a few good people within each party who could do some serious good if their party wasn't suffocating them.

So in the end, I don't think my vehement criticisms of the current administation or others in power disqualifies me as a moderate. If anything, it qualifies me as a patriot. To quote Barbara Ehrenriech:
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots.