Boycott Tom CruiseAs you may have heard, Comedy Central recently pulled an episode of South Park that poked fun at Scientology after whack-job Tom Cruise threatened to boycott his own movie. It's sad that Comedy Central caved, but it's just plain pathetic that Cruise feels so insecure about his beliefs. Then again, if you know anything about his beliefs, you can probably understand his insecurity. South Park creators had this to say to Cruise:
So, Scientology, you have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for Earth has just begun," the pair wrote. Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!

Yeah, that's Scientology. I don't care if Cruise (or anybody else) wants to believe this crap--it's really no more absurd than your stardard religious fare, but if he's going to threaten a boycott, me too. I am not going to see any more Tom Cruise films (oh, how will I ever get by). The funny thing is, these nutjob types never seem to get that all their fussing only provides free publicity to the very item they're upset about. Point in case, I'm not usually a South Park viewer, but I went out of my way to watch the Scientology episode (you can find it online) and now I'm watching South Park reruns on TV. Thanks, Tom--I never knew what I was missing. Another case in point, Catholic viewers in Australia recently made a big hoopla about another episode of South Park--this one making fun of their religion. The result, viewership for said episode skyrocketed.

In related news, another Scientologist, Isaac Hayers (the voice of Chef on South Park), has quit--citing objections to the shows many jabs at religions of all kinds. Thing is, Hayes never had a problem with the shows content until they made fun of his religion. Funny how that righteous indignation works.