davinci code

At long last, there's finally a digital SLR for all of us Minolta people. And it's just been out long enough to start getting some press. Popular Photography (Feb '05) has a good review and Photographic (Feb '05) has an even more glowing review. Sorry, you'll have to buy the print editions to read the reviews, though here is PopPhoto's pre-release first look. I've also been talking with a number of people lucky enough to already purchase theirs and so far, everyone seems very pleased. The one sticking point for me has been price. It seems to be in a similar class as the Nikon D70 (except for the Anti-Shake) and yet it cost considerably more. However, for someone (like myself) with a fair share of Minolta glass, it's probably still worth it. And since Nikon and Canon only offer image stabilization on select (and very expensive) lenses, Minolta's body-integral Anti-Shake may prove to be the deal breaker for many. I'm looking to get mine sometime this month--though I did hear a vicious rumor that production had slowed and there were long waiting lists.



3 comments

Blogger Evan Jones  said...

I have a "Stray Blogs" tab on Safari that has, among other things, a Photography blog that I thought I got from you, perhaps indirectly. Anyway, I clicked on it this morning and fell in love almost instantly. It leads to Steve's Digicams and finally to a wonderful comparison of the KM and the Nikon. Only hours before you posted this I was saying to Amie that there is finally a camera I lust after. Lots of pixels, anti-shake and externalized controls. What more could you want? It amazes me that such a cold-hearted libertarian as yourself could have such wonderful taste in cameras.

Monday, January 10, 2005  

Blogger Evan Jones  said...

OK, the links got messed up. Try Photography blog here, the reference to the KM here, and the comparison here.

Monday, January 10, 2005  

Blogger Evan Jones  said...

Well, the first and the third work. Sorry for the mess.

Monday, January 10, 2005  

Post a Comment  |  Back to Hey Paul.