A Democratic city councilman has demanded that a baker remove photos of President Bush from his stand in Lancaster's venerable farmers' market, saying the city needs a "healing period" following the bitterly contested presidential election.

We live in a society that is continually bragging about its illustrious Bill of Rights and all the freedoms it grants us--freedoms that too many people in other parts of the world do not enjoy. So why is it that there are so many who would seek to suppress those rights for such petty reasons. It's scary enough when our freedoms are threatened by the interests of national security (something you can at least understand, even if you disagree--as I do), but it's just absurd to suppress those same freedoms for the sake of one's feelings. If you ask me, the is just more evidence that too many people today weren't slapped around enough as children. Grow up already. I've said it before and I'll say it again--there is no right that guarentees you won't be offended. And there shouldn't be. Mr. Bean said the same thing already, although far more eloquently--see earlier post.

What's even more absurd is the nature of the offense here. A photo! Of our President!! You may not have voted for him or even like the guy (count me in with that bunch), but he is our President. Displaying a photo of your President ought to be seen as a sign of patriotism. Thankfully, there were plenty of level-headed people around to let this city councilmen know what an ass he was.
The baker said he is enjoying the attention.....Other standholders have shown their support by putting up photos of the president......"It's fun. People are coming up to me and supporting me. I've been getting letters and phone calls," Stoltzfus said Friday. "Even the Democrats come to me and tell me, 'Don't take that picture down."'